Best Shows to Binge: What the Wildcat Staff is Watching

From Netflix’s latest season of Cobra Kai, to long-time favorites like Gilmore Girls and The Office, to international smashes like Alice in Borderland, to recent hits like Hawkeye, there are plenty of entertaining options to binge on weekends and during breaks from school work on weekdays. But with so many shows to pick from, and so little time to spare, simply selecting something to watch can be anxiety-inducing. So the Wildcat asked its staff for recommendations. Here’s what they said (and recommend): 

New Girl

After a breakup, Jess (Zooey Deschanel) moves into a loft with three men she’s never met before. 

Doyon Kim (Editor-in-Chief):New Girl has shaped my entire life. It’s brought me so much laughter and joy and I don’t know where I would be today if it wasn’t for New Girl. I have become obsessed with the actors and their characters and it would be my dream to star in the show (like for real). It’s a show that I can watch anytime of day and every single episode brings something new to the field. The ending is glorious and I would recommend it to every single person on earth, no matter what language you speak.”

Karis Choi (News Co-Editor): “Doyon Kim suggested it. I just like the humor in it; it just makes you want to watch more. My favorite character is Schmidt because he’s what makes the show so funny. There’s a lot of drama which makes you want to keep watching because it’s so heated.”

Natalie Di Cesaris (Opinion Editor): “It’s super funny and I can watch every episode a million times and never get bored. It’s my comfort show and I can watch it anywhere, anytime. It will always make me happier after watching it.”

Where to watch: Netflix

The Office

This mockumentary follows Michael Scott (Steve Carell) and the employees of Dunder Mifflin Paper Company. 

Jasmine Youn (Feature Editor): “I already finished The Office around three years ago but now and then I like to re-watch a bunch of episodes or seasons. What I absolutely love about the show are the characters and the way that they all carry such unique personalities. The jokes that are made in the show aren’t the highest quality, but that’s what makes me love it even more. The way that the characters execute the jokes really brings the comedy to life.”

Where to watch: Peacock

Alice in Borderland

Gamer Ryohei Arisu (Kento Yamazaki) and his friends must compete in a series of dangerous games to survive in this Japanese science-fiction thriller. 

Amber Kim (Foods Editor): “It’s not easy to successfully pull off a live action show based off of a dystopian-based manga with lots of action, but this show pulled it off. As a fan of Kento Yamazaki, the protagonist, I couldn’t wait for him to star in this show, and I was excited by the whole idea of a survival show surrounding dangerous games with high stakes. Also, I loved how much suspense each episode had, and the idea of combining elements from Alice in Wonderland with darker themes intrigued me. Overall, it was fun to see how all the unknown factors in previous episodes were being played out, and I just can’t wait for season 2 to come out soon.”

Where to watch: Netflix

Riverdale

After a classmate is murdered, four teenagers confront the evils their small town of Riverdale is facing. 

Katie Kudron (Lifestyle and A&E Co-Editor): “Everyone hates on Riverdale because it’s a truly terrible show, but I personally love it. It’s so bad it’s good! So with that said, if Riverdale has 10,000 fans, I am one of them. If Riverdale has 1,000 fans, I am one of them. If Riverdale has 100 fans, I am one of them. If Riverdale has 10 fans, I am one of them. If Riverdale has 1 fan, I am that fan. If Riverdale has no fans, I am dead.” [Editor’s Note: Riverdale’s sixth season averages 411,000 viewers per episode.]

Where to watch: first five seasons are available on Netflix

Single’s Inferno

On a deserted tropical island, nine young and single people try to find love on this Korean dating show.

Rachel Lim (Illustrator): “I like this show because you don’t know what’s going to happen next and it’s a love show so I just can’t wait for the new episodes. My favorite is Se-Hoon. Even though I know people may bash me on this, I think he is attractive and I think he has one of the funniest personalities out of the boys. (But my opinion may change later.)”

Charlize Chiang (Photo Editor): “It’s a lot of exciting drama and there’s a lot of hot guys. My favorite person on the show is Song Ji-a because she dresses really nicely and I like how she does her makeup and treats people. I want her to end up with the new guy Cha Hyun-seong.”

Where to watch: Netflix

Hawkeye

Avenger Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner) helps newcomer Kate Bishop (Hailee Steinfeld) take on the role of Hawkeye in this action-packed six-episode series set in the MCU.

Sri Addagarla (Staff Writer): “It might seem like Hawkeye is “lacking” in MCU’s flair for sci-fi and the multiverse, but that’s precisely what makes the show so grounded and charming. It’s just a show about “ground-level” superheroes saving the day. Also, Clint Barton doesn’t have that much screen time in the MCU so it’s cool to see him get well-deserved screen time.”

Where to watch: Disney+

Our Beloved Summer

Two former lovers are reunited years after high school in this Korean coming-of-age romantic comedy. 

Vanessa Jo (Staff Writer): Our Beloved Summer is a coming-of-age k-drama that is super light-hearted. It doesn’t have a lot of confusing plot lines and it’s super inclusive with friends and family giving support. I think the plot is really unique because it shows how the characters cherish memories and learn to follow realistic goals together.”

Where to watch: Netflix

One Tree Hill

One Tree Hill follows the lives of two half-brothers, Lucas Scott (Chad Michael Murray) and Nathan Scott (James Lafferty), through their high school endeavors and romances. 

Isabella Abalos (Photo Manager): “I enjoy this show because there’s a lot of twists and turns that are unexpected and the characters are very relatable since it takes place in a high school setting. I watched it during quarantine with my mom and it became a routine after school to watch on a daily occasion.”

Where to watch: Hulu+

Community

When it is discovered he faked his Bachelor’s degree, a lawyer is forced to go back to community college where he meets an unconventional group of students and staff. 

Gabrielle Smith (Staff Writer): “It’s like one of the funniest shows I’ve ever watched, I just keep going back to it because it’s the funniest show I’ve ever seen. It came out in 2012 but the humor still stands today. It is about kids in a community college and I like that I can still relate to it as a high school student.”

Where to watch: Netflix

Cobra Kai

A sequel to the 1980’s series of Karate Kid movies, Johnny Lawrence (William Zabka) reopens the Cobra Kai dojo 34 years after the 1984 Valley Karate Tournament, which restores his rivalry with Daniel LaRusso (Ralph Macchio).

Noelle Dominado (News Co-Editor): Cobra Kai is exciting and it’s super fast paced so you don’t have to worry about waiting around for something exciting to happen. The characters also have great character development so you can’t hate them or love them.”

Where to watch: Netflix

Good Luck Charlie

A Disney Channel sitcom about three teenagers navigating their new lives after their mother has another baby. 

Kasia Alexander (Photographer): “I just grew up watching the show and it brings back a lot of memories from childhood. It’s also very entertaining. I like it because it’s very relatable to my everyday life and it always makes me smile and laugh.”

Where to watch: Disney+, YouTube

Gilmore Girls 

This comedy-drama television series centers around a single mother and her relationship with her teenage daughter in Stars Hollow, Connecticut.

Alexis Alexander (Photo Manager): “I really like Gilmore Girls because it’s nostalgic and it’s my comfort show. I was named after the main character, Alexis Bledel, who plays Rory Gilmore.”

Lana Tran (Staff Writer): “It’s like my comfort show and I think it’s really funny. I like the focus on Rory and Lorelai’s relationship because it’s very interesting and Rory is also a very relatable character.”

Where to watch: Netflix

Survivor 

A long-running reality show on an island where a group competes for a million dollar prize by completing challenges and voting other contestants off every episode.

Melea Altermatt (Lifestyle and A&E Co-Editor): “I’m watching Survivor because I’ve been watching it since I was five. I am a huge fan and would love to be on the show one day.”

Where to watch: Paramount+

Dance Moms

This reality television series follows Abby Lee Miller’s elite competition dancers and the drama their mothers bring to their lives. 

The Wildcat Staff: “We love Dance Moms. In fact, it’s our favorite lunch time activity. The drama, the fights, and of course, the dancing, provides endless entertainment for the Wildcat staff in the newsroom during lunch.”

Where to watch: Lifetime Network, Hulu+