Winter Rally a ‘Winter Wonderland’

Kasia Alexander

Senior Kaylor Scovill is carried by her varsity cheer teammates during the Frozen Lip Sync Battle at the ASB-organized Winter Rally that was held Feb. 4 in the stadium.

In a sea of blue and white attire, BOHS students watched a “Winter Wonderland” in Wildcat Stadium on Feb. 4. 

The rally, organized by ASB, was mainly held to introduce the winter sports, clubs, and Performing Arts programs of BOHS. 

The rally included two games – a Snowball Run (underclassmen competed against upperclassmen by running across the field in an inflatable ball) and a Winter Obstacle Course (students turned around themselves multiple times, then pulled each other across to the finish line with a sled).

“I think watching everyone do the games is my favorite part, because it’s so entertaining just to watch them do silly things,” Bri Artifon, freshman, said.

After the games, the winter sports teams were announced by the ASB Pep Commissioners, Brad Boschman and Nina Corral, seniors. As the teams were announced, athletes from soccer, basketball, and water polo ran through decorated banners to the cheers of the crowd.

Each team had their captains introduce the team’s seniors. “We each had nicknames for each other and in the end it felt like they were all there to support us,” Alexis Alexander, senior water polo player, said. 

Along with the winter sports, performances by cheer, dance, choir, and Mr. Brea contestants were showcased. 

To open the rally Masquerade choir sang through the “National Anthem” and varsity cheer performed their state championship-winning routine of remixed songs and their traditional “Brea-O!” cheer. 

Both cheer and Masquerade competed against each other in a Frozen-inspired lip sync battle along with a self- choreographed dance routine. The competition was judged by a panel of teachers, and the cheer team emerged victorious. 

The rally came to a close with the band’s performance of the alma mater and the student body’s exclamation, “Do or die!”

“[The rally] went really well. I think we’re just adjusting to being outside, but it’s nice to see everything come together and everyone’s hard work being seen,” Corral said.