AVID Holds Animal Needs Drive for VIDA Rescue Shelter

Courtesy of Amanda Louis

Ashley Ochoa, junior, with a shelter dog at Volunteers in Defense of Animals (VIDA) rescue center in Rowland Heights during AVID’s visit March 6. BOHS’s AVID program held their second service project — Animal Needs Drive — from Feb. 28 to March 4.

Cats and dogs at the VIDA rescue kennels were greeted with brand new blankets, clothes, and toys donated by BOHS students as part of an AVID service project.

Advancement Via Individual Determination (AVID) students participated in their second service project of the year for the Volunteers in Defense of Animals (VIDA) rescue center in Rowland Heights.

AVID, a program that aims to improve student college and career readiness, held the drive from Feb. 28 through March 4. AVID 11 led the program through the Animal Needs Drive, collecting 10 full bags of blankets, food, pee pads, outfits and toys for the shelter’s dogs and cats. For the drive, boxes were available for student donations in rooms 225, 244, and 231.

“In an animal drive, the stuff people are donating are things they already have in their house like blankets, so it benefits both the animals and the students,” Elizabeth Ureno, AVID advisor, said.

VIDA’s mission is to protect and help dogs and cats from homelessness, neglect, abuse, cruelty, and abandonment, which is the main reason why the AVID program chose the rescue. 

“We believed strongly in having the items go to a shelter that helps animals,” Alexis Valencia, junior, and AVID 11 member, said.

Following the drive, on March 6, AVID students visited VIDA rescue helping wash and walk the cats and dogs, and clean kennels. 

“There were dogs that were lonely and whining so we got to play with them just to brighten their day,” Valencia said. “[Going to VIDA] was what I was looking forward to the most because we get to see where all the donations are going to,” 

The conversation for the second community project started in December with group discussions with all AVID classes and voting for the best project to pursue. Divided into groups, the students had to do extensive research for their ideas.

“We had to think of something specific we wanted to help within the service project and do a whole research project specifically for it,” Robert Hernandez, junior, said. 

The community projects have given the students opportunities to obtain skills that they might not have received in their typical curriculum. 

“I think this project is a great opportunity for students because they get an awareness of what the community needs and any kind of problems throughout the school,”  Ureno said.