Beware the BOHS Snakes

Rattle snakes were spotted near the tennis courts, baseball fields, and Wildcat Stadium during the week of April 4. Snakes emerge from their habitats during higher temperatures.

Kasia Alexander

Beware of slithering snakes on Wildcat Way.

As of April 6 there have been three sightings of two rattlesnakes and one king snake by BOHS staff members. The sightings occurred at the lower staff parking lot near the M building parking lot and Wildcat Stadium.

Shelli Hemerson, Assistant Principal, sent an email to staff and posted a warning on the BOHS instagram account on April 6 regarding the sightings of snakes on campus. In the email, Hemerson advised teachers to “remind students to stay on paved walk areas and out of the planter and dirt areas to avoid any contact with the snakes.”

The species spotted, the Western rattlesnake, is native to Orange County, and are identifiable by a blotchy pattern on their backs and a rattle at the end of the tail (which the snake uses as a warning signal).

Shelley Weiseth, biology teacher, said, “Snakes are coming out this time of year because of the weather change, since they’re cold blooded they’re looking to warm up and get energy from the sun.” The first week of April had temperatures with a low of 88 degrees and a high of 99.

Since usually snakes will not attack unless provoked, students and staff who encounter a snake on campus should leave it alone.

If bitten by a snake, the CDC recommends seeking medical attention as soon as possible, and remaining calm as it can slow down the spread of venom if the snake is venomous. Wash the wound with warm soapy water immediately.

If any students encounter a snake on school grounds they should report to the office immediately, or to nearby staff members, or directly to Kevin O’Dea, BOHS custodian.

“I want all the students to be careful and if they see any, give me a call,” O’Dea said.