Virtual Club Rush Makes Clubs More Accessible than Ever

Image courtesy of LetHerLearn Club

A slide from a slideshow of information for new club, LetHerLearn. Virtual Club Rush will feature slideshows, links, Remind codes, and sign-up sheets for dozens of BOHS clubs.

Pivoting from the traditional in-person Club Rush in the quad, to a more accessible online platform, BOHS students will now be able to explore over 60 clubs with the tap of a button during BOHS’s first-ever Virtual Club Rush from Oct. 5 to Oct. 8. 

Students will be able to access links to Club Rush resources through their school email on Oct. 5. In the email from ASB, a code to a Google Classroom specifically for Club Rush will be accessible, including the Google slideshow of all participating BOHS clubs.

Club Rush is currently “advertised through IGTVs on [the] school Instagram and class Instagram pages,” junior Anna Li, ASB Clubs Commissioner, said. “All continuing clubs and new clubs were asked to “submit a 10-15 second video to promote their club.” In addition to the video, club presidents were asked to post a Google Slide with all of their club’s information — Remind codes, links, meeting dates — to inform Club Rush attendees about what to expect from each club. 

Students will have plenty of clubs to choose from: This year, there were about 40 new clubs that applied for approval from ASB, for a total of over 60 campus clubs in 2020-2021. 

“I hope that with our virtual Club Rush, students [will] see all the amazing clubs we have on campus that can reach so many different types of interests,” Kara Dietz, ASB advisor, said.

A benefit of this virtual Club Rush is that students might “see something virtually that they may have missed on campus, and find the perfect club for them to join, [while] finding new friends,” Dietz added. 

Glory 2 God president, Randy Kim, senior, agreed with Dietz: “I know that during the actual Club Rush, it might be hard to find a club that you want to join. With this online format, it’ll help highlight your club, and therefore hopefully bring more people in.”

Prior and new club presidents have had to adjust to the virtual format of the Club Rush event, which meant learning how to advertise to students virtually. Kim had the help of G2G board members to make online posters to promote the club: “If we didn’t have members who were good at making creative [online] posters, then that’s [where] we might have encountered some difficulties.” 

“This year’s [Virtual] Club Rush gives me an opportunity to show my excitement and passion for my clubs. I can showcase all the benefits of my clubs and share all the exciting things we do,” senior Camryn Pi, MUN and Science Olympiad president, said.

With access to the links and information of all the clubs on campus, students can look at all their options and sign up by tapping a few keys on their device. 

Li hopes the Virtual Club Rush will be “well-organized and engaging” and will help connect students to clubs that match their interests. 

Although “there have been some struggles [preparing for Club Rush],”  Dietz said, “For many students — clubs may be that important piece of being in school that makes them feel more connected.”