New Class ‘Reels’ in BOHS Students

Kasia Alexander

Jeffrey Jolliff, broadcasting teacher, instructs Broadcasting 1 students William Stelmar, freshman, Faith Marquez, freshman, Joshua Cho, senior, about video camera operations. Broadcasting is a new course that serves to inform and entertain the student body via Wildcat TV (WCTV) video productions.

It’s “Lights, Camera, Action!” for students in Jeff Jolliff’s Broadcasting classes, a new course that introduces students to the basics of writing, filming, and editing self-produced videos.

Jolliff, who arrives at BOHS after four and a half years of teaching broadcasting at Brea Junior High School, teaches students how to use video production to inform the student body about current events. Once completed, the videos will be shared with the BOHS community across multiple platforms like YouTube, the BOHS website, and links via email.

Jolliff’s goal for the first-year program includes “getting WCTV (Wildcat Television) up and running and producing episodes regularly.” He also hopes that his students will gain “a sense of pride knowing that they helped create something truly unique and memorable for the entire community of BOHS.”

67 students, split between two periods — Broadcasting 1 and 2 in rooms 203 and 205 — comprise the video production team. Each team member has a video production-related role, from camera operator, to script writer, to video editor.

So far, broadcasting students have been learning the fundamentals of video production, including how to edit and film videos, how to use equipment, and creating a slogan and a logo for WCTV.

According to Jolliff, Students who join the class have the opportunity to “[learn] all the jobs required to run a news broadcast, as well the basics of writing and filming short commercials and films.” The course is also on the UC/CSU approved course list as an elective, and fulfills the “f” (Fine Arts) one-year requirement.

Brooke McBride, freshman, has enjoyed learning the many skills she is already beginning to master. “I think [broadcasting] will help [me] in the future with public speaking, social skills, and especially teamwork,” she said.

Kasia Alexander, freshman in Broadcasting 1, recommends the course. “I would encourage other students to join the class because it’s a place where you can be creative and have fun making content for everyone to watch,” Alexander said.

“We get to express who we are, and at the same time inform the student body,” Peyton Dunbar, freshman, said, regarding the opportunities the program provides.

Broadcasting students are currently hard at work at producing the first episodes of WCTV, which will debut in the next few weeks, according to Jolliff.