Meet the 2022-23 ASB Board

Claire Seo

(from left to right): Maren Handel (ASB Treasurer), Hallie Boschman (ASB Secretary), Irene Kim (ASB President), Autumn Clodt (ASB Vice President), Audrie Pagano (School Board Representative).

Spirit days, rallies, football games, and posters plastered in the hallways would not exist without the work of ASB. With all activities being delegated by the ASB board, members run business meetings and oversee the class to showcase the Wildcat spirit.

Every year, an election is held at the end of a school year to select the following year’s ASB President, ASB Vice President, ASB Secretary, ASB Treasurer, and School Board Representative.

To kick off the new school year, the Wildcat got to know the five 2022-23 ASB board members.

Irene Kim

ASB President

Irene Kim Claire Seo

The Wildcat: How and why did you get involved in leadership?

Kim: I’ve always been involved in leadership since elementary school because I love being able to make change and represent the people around me. Once at BOHS, I was Freshman Class President, Publicity Commissioner, Junior Class President, and now ASB President.

W: What does it mean to be ASB President?

Kim: My position requires a lot of responsibility and dedication. I see my position as an opportunity to serve and help for the betterment of school spirit and activities.

W: With ASB elections going by popular votes, what do you think helped you win your position?

Kim: Running for a position requires effort all-year long. I love getting to know people and making genuine meaningful friendships which I also think helps when it comes to election season.

W: What motivated you to run for ASB President?

Kim: I want to make long lasting change, big or small, in everywhere I go and everyone I meet. Big or small, my motivation is to make a positive difference in the things that I do.

W: What have you gained from being a part of the ASB board?

Kim:  I’ve gained a lot of personal development through ASB such as growing my leadership skills, developing the ability to learn and improve from mistakes, and being comfortable with stepping out of my comfort zone.

Autumn Clodt

ASB Vice President

Autumn Clodt Claire Seo

The Wildcat: How and why did you get involved in leadership?

Autumn Clodt: I got involved with leadership to improve the relationship students have with school and overall create a positive environment for the student body. I have been part of ASB for the past four years.

W: What does it mean to be ASB Vice president?

Clodt: My position requires me to assist the president and helping the rest of ASB on certain tasks and projects they cannot undergo themselves. I also have to confirm and ensure that all tasks and work is being accomplished efficiently and correctly.

Clodt:  I promoted my campaign through posters throughout campus, and social media. Due to COVID-19, we were unable to pass out campaign items, so I used my social media platforms to push my campaign.

W: What motivated you to run for ASB Vice President?

Clodt: I always strive to better our school life with new ideas, suggestions, and contributions to generate excitement and involvement of the students.

Clodt: I gained confidence in my leadership and gained an ASB family.

Hallie Boschman

ASB Secretary

Hallie Boschman Claire Seo

Hallie Boschman: I got involved in leadership because I wanted to help make a difference on campus and make school more enjoyable for students.

W: What does it mean to be ASB Secretary? 

Boschman: I keep the minutes at all of our meetings and then help out any ASB members with whatever is needed.

Boschman: I actually ran unopposed but even though I had no opponents, I showed the student body that I am qualified for this position through my experience and intentions of being on the ASB board. 

W: What motivated you to run for ASB Secretary?

Boschman: My motivation in ASB is watching the difference it can make in our lives to have a fun and enjoyable atmosphere at school.

Boschman: Being involved in ASB, I have gained leadership skills, memories, and friendships.

Maren Handel

ASB Treasurer

Maren Handel Claire Seo

Maren Handel: I got really involved in leadership back in junior high. My mom told me that she thought I would really like it, as I’m pretty outgoing, enjoy helping and bringing others together, and have fun being spirited. So I interviewed to be in ASB and the rest is history.

W: What does it mean to ASB Treasurer?

Handel: I work with Mrs. Valenti, our activities director, to create, pass, and monitor our yearly budget. I’m responsible for leading approval of purchase orders and monitoring all ASB expenditures and comparing totals to budgeted amounts, as well as a monthly budget report.

Handel: I‘ve been in ASB since my freshman year, so I had experience. I got pretty lucky in the fact that I ran unopposed. I wish I had a cooler story about it but it’s just because I was the only one.

W: What motivated you to run for ASB Treasurer?

Handel: I want to give everyone the opportunity to have a great high school experience. Whether people capitalize on those opportunities is out of my control, but at the end of the day, at least I can say I tried my best.

Handel: A lot of friends in all different grade levels, experience planning and organizing events, but mainly confidence in myself and what I can do. I’ve become very confident in public speaking. I’ve also learned how to work well under pressure and prioritize what is and isn’t important. ASB really took me out of my shell and showed me [that] for things to change, they have to be challenged.

Audrie Pagano

School Board Representative

Audrie Pagano Claire Seo

Audrie Pagano: Prior to my Sophomore year I had no intention of joining ASB. Some of my teachers recommended [that I] interview for a commissioner position. 

W: What does it mean to be the School Board Representative?

Pagano: I attend the monthly BOUSD school board meetings and present a report of all the activities and events occurring at BOHS.

Pagano: I campaigned just like everyone else on the board even  though I ran unopposed.

W: What motivated you to run for the School Board Representative?prese

Pagano: My main goal as the School Board Representative is to ensure our students feel heard. If there is something ASB should be doing, people we should be recognizing, or events we should be coordinating we want to hear it.

Pagano: ASB has given me a lot of confidence. Being in this environment has helped me identify my strength and passion for public speaking and I’m so honored to be a part of a group where natural talents and creativity are encouraged.