‘Check-out’ the Renovated Brea Library

Claire Seo

New book shelves, light systems, and furniture marked the re-opening of the Brea Library on Feb. 8. The Brea Library offers free resources, including printing privileges, public computers, a diverse selection of books, and hotspots available for checkout.

After a full year of closure for tenant improvements since last February, the Brea library is  open to the public. Families and children arrived at the library starting Feb. 8 to check out books and enjoy the renovations: brand new flooring, study rooms, shelves, and seating areas.

Danilo Serranilla, branch manager of the Brea Library, is “happy to have the library open to the community and proud to serve [his] patrons in the new facility,” he said.

During the shutdown of the Brea Library, students resorted to visiting libraries of neighboring cities, requiring further driving distance. Anwei Forgues, senior, is excited that the library is open because it is in close vicinity to the high school. “I’m glad that I have an option so that I don’t have to drive as far to the Yorba Linda library,” she said.

As a result of post-distance learning, teachers have increasingly utilized digital resources in their classrooms, so many students got accustomed to reading literature online. “I’m so used to using pdfs for books, so I can’t wait to get my hands on some physical books again,” Alexander Chao, junior, said.

A significant addition to the Brea Library is the private study rooms. Anyone with a library card can reserve up to two hours in the study room, allowing productive study groups.

“The study rooms are convenient because students can work and collaborate in groups without distracting others who are studying,” Julie Estell, media tech/librarian, said. She also likes that the Brea library allows students to get in depth materials even after school hours, with the BOHS library open until 3:30 p.m.

As in previous years, the Brea library continues to offer various programs for diverse age groups on a weekly basis. Some programs include Pajama Storytime, Bilingual Storytime, and ESL Conversation Group that encourage discussion and listening skills.

The Brea Library is open Mondays to Thursdays from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays.

“I highly recommend the Brea Library as a study spot,” Gabriella Reyno, junior, said. “It was way nicer than I expected, and made me feel so productive and motivated to work,” she said.