Black Student Union Celebrates Black History Month

%28from+left+to+right%29%3A+Jeremiah+Dafney%2C+senior+%28BSU+Member%29%2C+Rayan+Hassan%2C+junior+%28BSU+Vice+President%29%2C+Jonai+Keys%2C+sophomore+%28Black+Student+Union+President%29.+

Claire Seo

(from left to right): Jeremiah Dafney, senior (BSU Member), Rayan Hassan, junior (BSU Vice President), Jonai Keys, sophomore (Black Student Union President).

Black History Month was created to put attention on the acknowledgement of African Americans. The month of February is dedicated to spotlight the past, present, and future Black people. 

This month serves as a time to provide the representation that African American history has lacked, and to work toward building a better community.

Brea Olinda High School’s Black Student Union encourages that all races join together to promote growth through differences and diversity. To celebrate this month, the Wildcat got to know members of the BOHS Black Student Union.

Jonai Keys, sophomore

Black Student Union President

The Wildcat: What does Black History Month mean to you?

Jonai Keys: It means a month where we can celebrate the sacrifice and contributions that Black Americans have given our nation.

W: Why is it important to celebrate Black History Month?

Keys: I feel that the way Black people in the past had to work and push extra hard can’t go uncelebrated.

W: Do you feel that there are less opportunities for you regarding race?

Keys: There’s always going to be less opportunities, considering Black Americans are seen as the minority. However there is an advantage to that because when we are able to achieve our goals, it contributes to diversity in areas needed.

W: Why is it encouraged to join Black Student Union?

Keys: It’s encouraged because it’s important to be with one another especially for people of all different races. Coming to have fun together just shows that we can all be together as one in diverse ways.

Jeremiah Dafney, senior

Black Student Union Member

Jeremiah Dafney: It means unity within Black people and celebrating being great.

Dafney: It shows a lot of Black people such as myself that there’s more to life than just stereotypes and there’s people who fight for us.

Dafney: I feel like everyone looks at us as only able to do sports, and I think we’re capable of so much more. But to overcome these stereotypes I think we have to see each other as more than just color and see each other as individuals.

Dafney: In Brea Olinda High School, there’s not a very big population of Black students and if all races can come together we can know that we’re not standing alone and that’s what BSU stands for.

Rayan Hassan, junior

Vice President of Black Student Union

Rayan Hassan: It means to celebrate heritage and culture as an individual African whether it be a tribe or the country you’re from.

Hassan: People were treated awfully all around the world, as racism is really prevalent. So Black History Month is bringing attention to the struggles African Americans go through.

Hassan: It’s encouraged for the same reasons celebrating Black History Month is important. It’s a club for everyone, but mainly a club to attract Black students who are motivated to be better than the status quo that is set for them as Africans in this country.