789 Wildcat Way, Brea, CA 92620
est. 1930

The Wildcat

est. 1930

The Wildcat

est. 1930

The Wildcat

Life-Saving AEDs at BOHS

Where to find, and how to use, the five automated external defibrillator devices on campus.
AED pads should be placed on the victim as compressions are being administered. This reduces interruptions where oxygen is not delivered to organs.
Jacob An

Brian Schlueter, history teacher and wrestling coach, is testament to the necessity of life-saving devices on campus. Schlueter collapsed on the BOHS gym floor, unconscious, while leading wrestling practice in Dec. 2018. Fortunately, Darrin Windes, former assistant coach, and Sam Winkler (‘18) sprung to action, called 911, and started chest compressions. Wrestlers hustled to retrieve Ken McCall, athletic trainer, who used an automated external defibrillator (AED) to shock Schlueter back to life.

As a survivor of sudden cardiac arrest (SCA), Schlueter is alive today due to brave coaches and students that stepped in to perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and revive his heart with an AED. Schleuter’s SCA was a result of a widow maker heart attack, which is full blockage of the largest heart artery. Only 12% of people with this condition survive outside of a hospital.

“If they did not feel courageous enough to help me or have prior information of what to do and how to do it, then I would not have survived. My kids wouldn’t have had a dad. They probably wouldn’t even remember me. I would have just been somebody that people talk about,” Schlueter said.

The more educated people are about how to administer CPR and deliver a shock on victims who encounter SCA, the higher likelihood of saving others like Schlueter.

“Emergency medical services (EMS) rely on us lay rescuers to assess consciousness, assess breathing, and start CPR before [paramedics] get there. Otherwise their chance of resuscitating the victim is not very good,” Debbie Medina, founder of CPRitWorks, said. Medina started CPRitWorks to improve bystander confidence after her son, Daniel Medina, was resuscitated by his friends in 2016.

BOHS purchased new AEDs on Oct. 2. to replace the ten-year old devices that had expired batteries. However, these life saving tools are only useful if faculty, staff, and students know what they are, how to use them, and where they are located.

AEDs
Brian Schleuter, history teacher, experienced sudden cardiac arrest in 2018. Coaches, wrestlers, and the athletic trainer resuscitated Schlueter with prompt action by doing CPR and utilizing an AED.
Brian Schleuter, history teacher, experienced sudden cardiac arrest in 2018. Coaches, wrestlers, and the athletic trainer resuscitated Schlueter with prompt action by doing CPR and utilizing an AED. (Ellen Kim)
Why are AEDs necessary?

Sudden cardiac arrest (SCA) is the number one cause of death for youth athletes and the leading cause of natural death for adults in the U.S. Because SCA can affect anyone at any age without preexisting health conditions, it is imperative that people are conscious of the steps to perform life-saving CPR as it can double or triple a victim’s chance of survival by mimicking the heart and pumping oxygenated blood to vital organs.

In a medical emergency, every second matters. When someone goes into SCA, abnormal electrical currents cause the heart to experience irregular heart beats or stop pumping blood altogether. However, prompt action by performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and using an AED can save a victim’s life.

AED pads should be placed on the victim as compressions are being administered. This reduces interruptions where oxygen is not delivered to organs. (Jacob An)
What is an AED?

An AED is a portable device that can detect and treat life-threatening conditions. The machine detects ventricular fibrillation, or an irregular heartbeat, and sends electrical shocks to the heart so that the muscle beats at a regular rhythm. After the shock is given, the rescuer should continue CPR. The AED will reanalyze the heart every two minutes and provide another shock if needed.

AEDs deliver a shock to the heart when it has irregular rhythm. This allows the heart to pump the blood adequately to the body once again.
AEDs deliver a shock to the heart when it has irregular rhythm. This allows the heart to pump the blood adequately to the body once again. (Jacob An)
When are AEDs needed?

AEDs are needed when someone undergoes SCA. If you see someone on the ground, first assess the safety of the scene, and then approach the victim. Check for consciousness by tapping on the patient’s chest and yelling, “Are you okay?” If there is no response, call 911 and prompt someone to retrieve an AED (there are five AEDs spread across campus). Check for the victim's pulse at their carotid artery at the lateral neck area and look for chest rise. If there is no pulse or breathing, begin CPR by providing 30 compressions and two breaths.

Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) members teach Brea Junior High Exploring Medical Careers students how to do CPR on Nov. 13.
Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) members teach Brea Junior High Exploring Medical Careers students how to do CPR on Nov. 13. (Kaitlyn Song)
Who can use AEDs?

AEDs are public access devices, which means that anyone can use them. They are designed so that even people who aren’t trained in CPR/AED can easily access the device. At BOHS, campus supervisors and coaches are CPR-certified and prepared to take action when an AED is needed.

Where are the AEDs located?

The five AEDs at BOHS are located in the Performing Arts Center, main office, stadium press box, athletic training room, and the main gym. Per California state regulations, AEDs are required in most buildings with an occupancy of 200 or more and should be easy to find and access.

(WCTV)
How do I use an AED?

Important: Make sure that the scene is safe before approaching the victim. Activate 911 if the patient is unconscious. Someone should be perform CPR on the victim as the AED is being applied on the victim. A pre-recorded track will walk the rescuer through each step and repeat it twice.  

1. Take the AED out of its container and turn it on. 

2. Remove the two pads from the plastic liners.

3. Apply pads on the victim’s upper right and lower left chest, directly on their skin.

4. Do not touch the patient as the AED analyzes the heart rhythm, and say, "Stand clear."

5. If shock is advised, say, "Stand clear" one more time and push the red flashing button to deliver the shock. If shock is not advised, resume chest compressions.

*Make sure that the patient is dry as water can interfere with the shock. Remove clothing and hair on the chest area to ensure a quality shock.