789 Wildcat Way, Brea, CA 92620
est. 1930

The Wildcat

est. 1930

The Wildcat

est. 1930

The Wildcat

HOW TO SCORE A 5

The Wildcat asked current BOHS students who have scored a 5 on past AP exams for advice on how they achieved the coveted result.
Lauren Ko
A familiar sight to many BOHS students this month: a stack of AP study guides for the upcoming May exams.

Today marks the beginning of spring break, and while some students will use this time to completely unplug from school, others will use the break to prepare for Advanced Placement (AP) exams, which begin the first week of May. 

Earning a high score on the AP exams is a year-long goal for the 602 BOHS students — more than a third of the student body — who have signed up for at least one AP test this spring. Success on the exams could translate into college credit, saving thousands of dollars by exempting college courses; can make students more competitive in the college admissions process; and can make the hefty $98 fee per test ($146 for AP Capstone) feel worthwhile. 

The Wildcat asked current students who have scored 5’s on past AP exams to share their tips, tricks, and study habits that helped them achieve the coveted top score.

The Wildcat Guide to a ‘5’
AP Biology

ALEX CHAO, senior

What’s the best tip you have for students who will take this exam?

Don’t procrastinate. The entire course is really long with a lot of information, so I suggest creating a base review with most of the main information from each unit for your tests and then review those, learning further in depth from there as the AP exam approaches.

Among the resources you used  -- textbooks, review books, online resources, etc. -- which did you find most valuable, and why? 

Mrs. Bottalico does a very good job of explaining a lot of things in depth, especially if you ask her [questions] straight-up, so I suggest more students do that.

How did you balance your AP exam preparation with other responsibilities and commitments such as extracurricular activities and schoolwork?

I didn’t, I procrastinated, but don’t do that. Just try and set aside  an hour each day to review for an AP of your choice and work on retaining that [learning] for the rest of the day.

Looking back, is there anything you would have done differently in your preparation for the AP exam?

Not procrastinate.

What’s something you wish you could tell the past version of yourself who was preparing for this exam? In other words, what do you have to say to the students who will be taking the exam this May?

Don’t stress out. It’s just an AP exam so if you don’t pass, it’s okay. If you do pass, that’s fabulous. Just keep on trying your hardest (and slay).

AP Calculus AB

ELLEN KIM, senior

Pay attention in class! If you’re in Mrs. Collier’s class, she sets her students up for success by giving them everything they need to pass the AP exam.  Look through the notes, try your best on the homework and tests, and study your flashcards.

One good resource for me was Collier’s flashcards. Looking through it and making sure I knew my unit circle, formulas, and theorems was helpful so that I could get every extra point. Practicing free response questions (FRQs) from past years on the College Board website is also helpful since you can practice time management and problem solving.

The class was so well organized that I felt ready walking into the test since we had covered all the material a month in advance and just reviewed for a couple weeks. I don’t think I had to put a significant amount of time after school other than the assigned homework.

I left a whole FRQ about related rates blank, so I should’ve studied that a bit more.

If I got a B or lower on almost every test and was able to get a 5, you can also get a 5.

AP Computer Science Principles

NIKO YAMAMOTO, junior

Study hard outside of class. Our GITA 2 class, which is meant to guide students to the AP exam, isn’t actually very much  geared toward the exam, so extra, individual prep is a must. 

By far the most valuable resource I used was the AP Computer Science Principles course on Khan Academy. It was thorough and had easy-to-follow lessons and taught me all the key vocabulary I needed. 

Time management is so important in the midst of AP exam preparation. If you’re like me and  are taking other AP classes on top of clubs and athletics, making a schedule and dedicating a certain amount of time to each item is crucial. Being proactive and studying early is important too, because then you can dedicate more time over a longer period rather than all at once.

For this test, there isn’t much I would have done differently. If anything, I would say start studying earlier, but overall, the test itself wasn’t super challenging, so I am glad I dedicated more time to other tests.

If I could tell past self anything, it would be to relax. There’s so much pressure put on AP tests, and for good reason, but the more you stress, the harder it becomes to think straight. Study hard, of course, but be confident in your knowledge. And, the night before, instead of cramming, get a good night’s rest so you can be at your best for the exam.

AP European History

LENA ROTBLUM, senior

Read each question twice (especially for FRQ), and respond accordingly. 

I actually don’t use prep books for my AP tests! Instead, I subscribed to Apple News and read news articles on European countries since they provide a working explanation for historical [and modern] European events. Additionally, I read a ton of books on European history before the tests. The Horrible Histories book series by Terry Dreary is [also] hilarious and informative.

[Having to balance]  varsity swim, varsity basketball, Girl Scouts, and yearbook, I started drinking black coffee. On a serious note, make the most of your time in class to work on APs. If you do not have time after class to study, it is absolutely vital to be productive while in your classroom and during other spare moments during the school day.

I would have stressed less about the exam. I was very nervous but the class (and timeline!) prepared me well for the exam. If you know at least three historical examples for every time period and finish your FRQs, you will pass AP Euro. For example, last year’s document-based question was on the Enlightenment’s influence on the Haitian Revolution. Know the time period of the Enlightenment and remember three historical figures/events/movements from the Enlightenment/Haitian Revolution such as Voltaire, Rousseau, Atlantic slave trade etc.

The night before, go to bed early and get at least eight hours of sleep. When you wake up, eat some protein. Finally, just relax! It’s hard to think or write clearly if you are stressed out.

AP Human Geography (APHUG)

JACOB QUION, sophomore

Take practice tests. By taking official exams of the AP test from years prior, you’ll familiarize yourself with the types of questions you’ll see on test day. On top of that, you’ll learn your personal order of difficulty (or POOD, for short), which will help you mentally map out the route at which you’ll take the exam. Everyone has their own POOD and taking practice tests not only helps you learn more about the exam, but also yourself. You’ll gradually develop your own test-taking strategies and methodologies, increasing the likelihood of getting that score you know you deserve.

After extensive experience and preparation, I can confidently say that my teacher, Ms. Ureno, was the most valuable resource to me while preparing for the AP HUG exam. Asking questions, whether they be related directly to the exam, course concepts, or just anything that comes to mind, provides more value than any textbook can offer. If you don’t understand something, just ask. Your teacher is there to help you.

Planning. Through the use of a simple physical planner in conjunction with the Notion and Google Calendar softwares, I’ve developed a system that allows me to keep track of my assignments, exam dates, and things going on in my personal life, all in one place. There’s no “one-size fits all” system. Just make sure that the system you choose to run with constantly reminds you of the things that need to get done.

I wish I had made a study group. Outside the help of my teacher, I didn’t prepare with anyone else for the AP HUG exam. Last year, I had lots of friends in my class which I thought would serve as distractions. However, with the abundance of course material to cover, a major benefit of a study group would be that they’re just a text away [which is] a lot faster than having to sit down and write an email to a teacher. Additionally, your peers speak like you, which promotes transparency when explaining complex topics or course criteria. The idea of studying with peers fascinates me, and is definitely a dynamic I would look to explore in future exam preparation.

If I could tell a past version of myself preparing for the AP HUG exam one thing, it would be to calm down.  At the end of the day, it’s just a test. No single digit number from College Board should be a reflection of [your character]. Of course, you should strive for the best results possible. But in the intense pursuit of getting a high benchmark, remember that it’s okay to not be in the top [x percent]. Be proud of the effort you put in and that no matter how you do, if you try your best, your test-taking experience will be fulfilling, regardless of your final score.

AP English Language and Composition

SEAN CRONIN, senior

Be confident in your knowledge and use your time wisely. Time is your biggest enemy so do things out of order if you need whether that be the multiple choice question (MCQ)  passages or the essays.

In Mrs. Teal’s class, we created binders with all of the review resources and our personal materials from throughout the year. I found [that] making this and looking through it the most valuable because it was catered specifically to me and what I needed to focus on the most to do well.

AP Lang isn’t an AP that takes a lot of studying to prepare for in my opinion. Becoming more confident in the class throughout the school year usually means you will perform better on the actual exam because that’s the best way to learn.

Overall, I wouldn’t do anything differently. I felt that Mrs. Teal prepared me in a way that worked very will with my learning style and I was very confident going into the exam. But a tip I have for the practice group essays in class is to make sure you choose a group with people you trust to pull their weight. Don’t keep putting yourself into situations where other people get credit for work that you did by yourself. Also, the practice MCQs on AP Classroom are very tedious, but they are generally similar to the MCQ portion on the AP exam -- if anything, they’re a little more challenging. So solving those is the best way to study for that portion. These tips, paired with being present and engaged in class should get you a passing grade.

Everyone is capable of passing the AP Lang exam if they feel prepared and know exactly what the graders look for, like proper synthesis and rhetorical analysis. Using the grading rubric for the essays as a tool is [also] an advantage. The only other thing to do is stay motivated through the entire exam which is tough because of how mentally exhausting it can be reading and writing so much in three hours and 15 minutes. Do your best and don’t overthink it, be confident in your ability. You can do this!

AP Physics 1

MINJUN KIM, senior

Read every question carefully for small details and keep looking at the equation sheet.

I liked the College Board progress checks which are really helpful because they have detailed explanations for every problem.

Preparing for physics is different than most other APs because it’s not really about memorization since everything’s on the equation sheet, so it was actually more manageable to prepare for it. I also had a close group of friends who were locked in and we studied together to do well.

I would have looked at the equation sheet more.

Don’t sweat it too much. You need less than half the points to pass the exam. Also, most problems can be explained by the equation sheet somehow

AP Seminar

LAUREN KO, junior

Really scrutinize the rubric for each research report, each presentation, and both essays on the end-of-course exam. No matter how great your content is, failure to adhere to the rubric can make all the effort backfire.

The AP Daily videos on AP Classroom were immensely helpful for me when navigating what exactly I was supposed to write and distinguishing between what works and what doesn’t when it comes to the rubric’s guidelines.

Because I knew I would be busy during the week, I spent a lot of my time on the weekends writing my research papers, even dedicating entire days to search for better sources, make edits, and create citations. Despite having time to work on your papers during class, it can be challenging to concentrate considering how social our AP Seminar classroom environment is. Still, try your best to stay focused, and continue writing.

I wish I had taken more practice end-of-course exams on my own time, with a full testing environment meaning no breaks, no distractions, and the designated time that you really get on the actual exam day. While you can work on  the research papers and presentations pretty much all year (this doesn’t mean to leave it all for the last few weeks), you’ll only have around three hours for the final bit.

Leave no room for procrastination. Whether you’re taking just this exam or five other ones, make sure you are dedicating enough time to practice your reasoning skills. You have no idea what your prompt will be on the day of the exam, so become comfortable with making connections and forming supporting arguments under time pressure, where your brain and hand will have to move fast.

AP U.S. History (APUSH)

ELLIE SEGURA, senior

I think it's important to not stress out about it so much. Do anything you can to minimize anxiety leading up to your test date, which includes studying ahead of time so you don’t feel the need to cram material in a short amount of time.

The Princeton Review prep book was my most valuable resource when I was reviewing for the exam. It has a really comprehensive overview of all of the material on the exam, and six additional practice tests.

Although I didn’t do the best job with time management while studying for the exam, I think that breaking down the material into chunks really helps with long-term memorization. Designating a portion of the exam content to review every day makes the whole process a lot less overwhelming.

I wish I hadn’t procrastinated reviewing for the exam. I put off studying for APUSH until the week leading up to the exam, and so I ended up feeling really rushed, and put myself through a lot of unnecessary stress.

Students should realize that an AP score doesn’t define them. While it's important to do your best to perform well, ultimately, if you don’t do well, it's not the end of the world.

AP World History

DOMINIC LEE, junior

Practice MCQs. A high score on the MCQ portion of the exam gives you a bit of a cushion when it comes to the writing section. I find that the MCQ section is often easier to do well on due to there being a correct answer written on the page, as opposed to short answer questions (SAQs)/document based questions (DBQs)/long essay questions (LEQs) where you have to come up with both a defensible thesis and pieces of evidence to use on the fly. (Also, two out of four or five of the answer choices are often obviously wrong, meaning that if you really don’t know the answer you can just guess as it’s 50/50.

The most valuable resources that I used were my textbook, online resources, and a friend’s notes. Rereading the textbook and taking notes on important events, people, and concepts in each time period helped refresh things I had forgotten during the year. (Note: this shouldn’t be in place of learning throughout the year. The notes I took while studying for the exam were meant to concisely list important information, which when seeing them would help me recall what I learned during AP Euro). In addition, I watched videos that explained topics that weren’t covered in AP Euro; the AP World exam was essentially Euro plus Africa and China, so I focused on videos explaining the history of those regions. Also, if you happen to have a friend at a different school taking AP World (since BOHS doesn’t offer it), it might help to read their notes. Most likely, they will be more in-depth than summary videos you can find online.

Luckily for me, my teachers were pretty understanding in the weeks leading up to AP exams. There was a lot of prep/practice during class, but not much homework was assigned. Also, by then my sports season was essentially over which freed up a huge block of time. I did have to stop hanging out/playing video games during the time before exams though; my afternoons and evenings were filled with studying.

I wish I had spent more time studying the areas of AP World not covered by AP Euro. I was able to gain a general understanding by watching videos, but feel that I would’ve been able to better understand some of the nuances in the exam questions had I had time to do a deeper dive into the subjects.

To my past self: Don’t stress. The general consensus among those who took both the Euro and World exams was that World was a lot easier. Since the exam covers a much broader range of history, the questions are often more general than those in the Euro exam. For those of you who took AP Euro, Rotblum has prepared you well. Much of what you learned in his class is applicable to the questions in the World exam, so don’t worry, you’re going to do great.