789 Wildcat Way, Brea, CA 92620
est. 1930

The Wildcat

est. 1930

The Wildcat

est. 1930

The Wildcat

National Honor Society Welcomes 44 New Members

Jacob An
Dr. Joshua Porter, principal, leads the National Honor Society (NHS) pledge for new inductees. 44 new members were welcomed to NHS at the annual induction ceremony on Oct. 30.

The nervous energy of the 44 National Honor Society (NHS) inductees was palpable as they awaited on stage for the annual induction ceremony to begin in the Performing Arts Center on Oct. 30. 

In the audience, family and friends conversed in whispers as Ellen Kim, senior and NHS president, appeared at the podium.

“We are gathered here to formally recognize those students who have been selected by the faculty of our school for successfully completing their candidacy and are being inducted as new members of our National Honor Society (NHS) chapter,” Kim said. 

After Kim’s opening remarks, NHS board members — Ellen Kim, president; Sean Cronin, vice president; Gabriella Reyno, secretary; and Sydney Huang, treasurer — shared with the audience the organization’s values of scholarship, leadership, service, and character.  

The 44 inductees were selected based on their involvement in extracurriculars, service activities, and academic achievement (NHS applicants must maintain a minimum 3.2 unweighted GPA).

“NHS is an academic honor [and] a testament to a student’s dedication to their education and community,” Amanda Hefner, NHS chapter advisor and English teacher, said.

In addition to strong academics, NHS members are also expected to act as role models on campus.

“All kids can get good grades and volunteer a couple of hours, but these kids really do their best to represent this school,” Cecilia Story, assistant principal, said. 

Stephanie Franks, senior and NHS member, concurred: “To be an NHS member, it takes a lot of leadership and initiative. It means more than just accomplishment and completing hours; [it means] to immerse yourself in the school and your community.”

With only 23 percent of applicants invited to NHS, Lindsey Suzuki, sophomore, felt “very honored to have been chosen and inducted.”

One by one, inductees walked forward to the podium, and a current member of NHS welcomed them with a speech to highlight their accomplishments. 

Kristin Kim, senior, inducted at Monday’s ceremony, said: “Listening to Riplie Mah, who is also my friend, explaining her feelings and the way she views my academic achievements was very heartfelt.” 

“I found it super cool that all the speeches were so personal. Everyone had a personal experience with that person, and it made the speeches super fun to hear,” Ellie Forgues, sophomore, said. Forgues’s welcome to NHS was presented by soccer teammate and friend Chloe Ribbe, senior.

Luciana Rodriguez, senior, was honored by senior Ayla Mailom. “I didn’t know what to expect, and it was kind of others to be able to take the time to write specifically for the person they chose,” Rodriguez said. “It felt good to be recognized for what I have accomplished to get into NHS.”

Senior Lena Rotblum spoke about inductee Sophia San Filippo, senior. “When I gave the speech about her, it just felt nice because it was the culmination of all she’s worked so hard for. I was so honored to deliver [the speech] for her,” Rotblum said.

After each speech was delivered, Story and Fernando Grimaldo, assistant principal, handed the inductees a membership card.

To conclude the ceremony, Dr. Joshua Porter, principal, led the NHS pledge: 

“I pledge to uphold

The high purposes of the National Honor Society

To which I have been selected;

I will be true to the principles for which it stands;

And will maintain and encourage

The high standards

Of scholarship, service, leadership, and character.”

Through events such as clean-ups, the Brea 8K race, and tutoring programs, NHS members will serve the community through an array of service projects that benefit Brea and Orange County.

Ella Na, senior, reflected on evening’s ceremony: “It felt very rewarding, and I felt accomplished because all my hard work paid off to get into this established society. I know that I will learn great skills this year in the NHS, and I will be surrounded by people who have similar goals as me.”