789 Wildcat Way, Brea, CA 92620
est. 1930

The Wildcat

est. 1930

The Wildcat

est. 1930

The Wildcat

Principal Porter Announces Resignation, Accepts Position at FJUHSD

Dr.+Joshua+Porter%2C+and+BOHS+teachers+Pamela+Valenti%2C+Jennifer+Collier%2C+and+Andrea+Ramos%2C+at+Senior+Sunrise+on+Sept.+1.+
Ellen Kim
Dr. Joshua Porter, and BOHS teachers Pamela Valenti, Jennifer Collier, and Andrea Ramos, at Senior Sunrise on Sept. 1.

Principal Joshua Porter’s four-year tenure at BOHS will end on May 31, he announced to faculty and staff members gathered at a voluntary meeting held at 3:15 p.m. today in the campus library. 

Porter is leaving BOHS for the position of Director of Education and Assessment Services within the Fullerton Joint Union High School District (FJUHSD). In his new role, Porter will oversee district-wide programs including curriculum development, training for certificated staff, coordination of the district’s Career Technical Education (CTE) and English Learner (EL) programs, among other duties.

According to an FJUHSD press release on April 22, Porter “made clear during the interview process that FJUHSD represents a destination district for him and offers the opportunity to give back to the community from which he comes.” Porter is a graduate of La Habra High School. 

Porter joined BOHS in July 2020 in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. He previously served as principal of Dana Hills and Carlsbad high schools, and as Assistant Superintendent of Educational Services in the Temple City Unified School District. 

In an April 22 press release from BOUSD, Brinda Leon, superintendent, expressed gratitude for Porter’s “contributions to the Wildcat family” and noted his successes in “closing achievement gaps of significant demographic groups,” improving A-G completion rates, fostering the growth of CTE and world language pathways, and developing “strong relationships with teachers, staff and the community.”  

Porter’s resignation announcement comes on the heels of BOUSD’s hiring of two assistant principals at BOHS, William “Joey” Davis and Hillary Herrington, both of whom were appointed at the BOUSD school board meeting on April 18. Davis currently serves as principal of El Dorado High School, and Herrington serves as assistant principal of James A. Garfield High School in Los Angeles. Both officially begin their duties at BOHS on July 1.

Pending FJUHSD board approval of Porter’s new position on May 14, BOUSD will begin its search for Porter’s successor to preside over its student body, faculty, and staff.