789 Wildcat Way, Brea, CA 92620
est. 1930

The Wildcat

est. 1930

The Wildcat

est. 1930

The Wildcat

Wildcat Online Archives
Recent Results
Select a Sport
Brea Olinda High School
3
Yorba LInda
2
Apr 16 / Softball
Brea Olinda High School
4
San Juan Hills
11
Apr 15 / Baseball
Brea Olinda High School
4
Esperanza
6
Apr 15 / Softball
Brea Olinda High School
0
El Modena
7
Apr 13 / Baseball
Brea Olinda High School
1
Fullerton
8
Apr 13 / Softball
Brea Olinda High School
7
Yorba LInda
8
Apr 12 / Baseball
Brea Olinda High School
0
Foothill
2
Apr 11 / Softball
Brea Olinda High School
3
Yorba LInda
4
Apr 10 / Baseball
Brea Olinda High School
4
El Dorado
6
Apr 9 / Softball
Brea Olinda High School
3
Crean Lutheran
6
Apr 3 / Baseball
Brea Olinda High School
17
Savannah
0
Apr 3 / Softball
Brea Olinda High School
5
Irvine
3
Apr 2 / Baseball
Brea Olinda High School
2
El Toro
5
Apr 2 / Baseball
Brea Olinda High School
14
Anaheim
2
Apr 2 / Softball
Brea Olinda High School
2
Calvary Chapel
3
Mar 29 / Baseball

Inaugural Mindfulness Day Launches Friday

Abigail Serna
Stickers with positive messages for Friday’s Mindfulness Day lunchtime activity. Students will have an opportunity to plant succulents and decorate the pots with the stickers.

To help students and staff get through the high-stress finals week, and to promote the importance of mental health, the BOHS counseling department will host a Mindfulness Day on Dec. 15.

Beth McDonald, guidance counselor and co-organizer of the event, said, “Mindfulness Day is important because in this world we are so busy, especially this time of the year. We’re so busy we have to make sure we’re making ourselves aware and present and using these strategies so that we can be the best version of ourselves.” 

The day will begin with a two to three-minute voice recording during second period that will guide students through a breathing exercise. The goal of the activity is to expose students to guided mindfulness practice and to introduce meditation into the school day. 

“The whole point in doing this activity is we are trying to incorporate practices and strategies into the regular school day so students are aware of how to reset, be mindful, and be present when things get a little stressed out,” McDonald said.

Later, at lunch in the quad, students can create a garden of succulents. The mindfulness activity will consist of picking a mini pot, decorating it with stickers, planting a succulent, and then nurturing the plant.

“Our staff are donating [the plants], and we also got a donation from Home Depot so we can get soil. So everyone is working together,” Jennifer Cormier, guidance counselor and co-organizer of Mindfulness Day, said. “Last May we held a mental health awareness activity with sand and I remember watching students’ faces. They were really into it. I like the idea of something hands-on that students can take [with them].” 

Mindfulness Day, according to Cormier, is not only to teach students about mindfulness but also to create a culture of well-being within our school community by providing tools for managing stress and improving focus. 

The idea for Mindfulness Day began during a counselor’s meeting with Cecilia Story, assistant principal, McDonald, and Cormier. McDonald and Cormier lead the project and hope to add similar days of whole-school mindfulness in the spring and fall. 

The intention of Mindfulness Day is to “bring attention to and recognize current and even pre-pandemic mental health issues. It’s important to reinforce these different tools, practices, and resources” to address these mental health concerns, Cormier said.