789 Wildcat Way, Brea, CA 92620
est. 1930

The Wildcat

est. 1930

The Wildcat

est. 1930

The Wildcat

Swingin’ Success: BOHS Jazz Band Takes The Stage

Tyler Park
BOHS Jazz Club performs at the Irvine High School Jazz Festival on March 16.

Sounds of jazz reverberated through the Irvine High School Student Center at the Irvine High Jazz Festival, where BOHS’s Jazz Band performed on March 16.

Both the Jazz Combo (members of BOHS’ Jazz Band Class) and the Jazz Club (including musicians who are not in the class) performed, each earning fifth place in their respective categories within the Intermediate Green Division.

BOHS was one of 27 high schools that performed at the annual festival.

Jazz Combo performed standards “Time Will Tell,” “Foggy Day,” and “Caravan,” while Jazz Club performed renditions of “C Jam Blues,” “Can’t Take That Away From Me,” “Oasis,” and “Keep It Straight.”

The festival also featured performances by the California State University, Long Beach Concert Jazz Orchestra and Saddleback College Big Band.

James Charrette, director of instrumental music, said of the day-long event: “Both groups performed very well and it was really fun to go and watch other schools, especially [the] colleges. It was great for the students to experience the next level of jazz performance.”

Seniors Amanda Simental, Danica Alejo, Luke Van Wye, Adrian Sanchez, Joshua Moreno, and Micheal Larsen, and sophomore Gabriel Linares, were recognized as top soloists within their division during the awards ceremony.

Simental was additionally awarded “Most Outstanding Soloist” for her performances on flute and baritone saxophone.

“Our band is full of amazing musicians — especially amazing soloists — so it was an honor to be recognized among everyone who had performed at the festival,” Simental said.

Up next for Jazz Band is a festival at Workman High School on March 29.