789 Wildcat Way, Brea, CA 92620
est. 1930

The Wildcat

est. 1930

The Wildcat

est. 1930

The Wildcat

‘Dancing with the Cats’ Returns to PAC this Friday

Issabella Garcia
Emily Rodarte, sophomore and Dance Production member, and Laci Armenta, senior, rehearse for Friday’s “Dancing With the Cats” competition.

Staff members, seniors, and Dance Production members will turn, moonwalk, and leap across the stage as they compete for the 2024 “Dancing With the Cats” trophy.

The annual competition features Dance Production members partnering with six seniors and three staff members in 27 dance performances, ranging from jazz funk to contemporary. 

Competitors include seniors Jarred Gonzales, Ella Na, Aalia Rodriguez, Laci Armenta, Brian Shrub, Megan DuPrey, and staff members Eileen Clarin, support secretary, Justin Villasenor, special education teacher, and Susan Luce, English teacher.

Each contestant will perform three dances. In the first round, contestants will dance to a song that represents their unique personalities; in the second round, dancers will perform to a song from a decade of their choice; and the final round consists of cultural dances including country western, k-pop, and hula.

Luce is performing to celebrate her retirement after 35 years of service in the Brea Olinda Unified School District. “I promised I would do [“Dancing With the Cats”] the year I retired, and this is that year. I’m not sure if we will win but I am enjoying learning [to dance],” Luce said. 

Brooke Winterrowd, junior, is Luce’s Dance Pro partner. “It has been so fun to meet up and practice with her. I am also excited for the dress rehearsal and the actual show to see all of our hard work pay off,” Winterrowd said.

Rodriguez looks forward to dancing with her partner, Wendy Williams, sophomore. “I feel like I never really took advantage of every opportunity I had to showcase this side of myself, so being invited to participate [in the show] was a dream come true. I accepted as fast as humanly possible,” Rodriguez said.

The winner of the contest will be determined by audience votes and judge feedback. Assessing the quality of each dance are judges Felix Galvan, of Stage One Dance Studio; Kara Dietz, Skills for Success teacher and Link Crew advisor; and Ellen Kim, senior class president.

“I have been watching Dance Moms for so many years, so hopefully, I can be a competent judge. I can’t wait to see all the talent our students have to offer,” Kim said. 

With the show just two days away, Dance Production continues to prepare their teacher and student partners during lunch time rehearsals in the dance room. 

The eighth annual “Dancing With the Cats” competition begins at 7 p.m. in the PAC. Tickets for the event are $8 presale, and $10 at the door.